Saturday, December 8, 2018

DIY Rear Fender Mudguard For My Fat Bike

I've had a bad cold for the last week which has knocked me off my feet.

No riding at all!

I have been working though, having had only one day off. I'm nearly back to full strength, it is just lingering on a bit, as cold's normally do.

However, I have put together my training schedule which was a bit of a task but I will write about that in another post.

Today, with the weather being rubbish and not completely fighting fit I decided that I needed to do something about getting a wet arse, back and neck each time I go out in the rain.

I have been looking for ages for something to use as a rear mudguard, but never found anything which would do the trick.

I do have a mudguard fitted, however it does not stop the fountain of water which gets flicked up from the back wheel.

I have tried various designs, which have included a lemonade bottle and a washing liquid bottle. Neither of which have worked that well.

Last time I was in my local Tesco I came across some chopping boards. Made of plastic and very bendy but rigid, and the right size to do a proper job.


I thought that if I could bend it and attach it to the inside of the rear pannier rack then it should work.

Firstly I cut the tie wrap which was holding the existing mud guard to the rack. I would still keep this mudguard in place, but attach the new one between it and the rack.

The new one would extend further and flair out to hopefully stop the water flicking up!

I lined it up, and drilled a couple of holes which would allow the tie wraps through to hold it in place.

Fitting was simple, I did not even attempt to cut the board down to shape it. I just left it as it was. Its held on by three tie wraps, one on the top of the rack and one either side as shown in the first picture




It is not pretty, but if it keeps me from getting wet, who cares!

The price, well it was £2.50 for two of them!

I will give it a quick go later, and see what happens.

Ride safe... 

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! No words. You always go one step beyond.

    There is so much great, useful information here. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
    Read our guide if you wish.
    https://diysbest.com/

    Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete