Sunday, March 29, 2020

Back To Work As A Key Worker - HGV Truck Driver - Corona Virus - Covid-19

It is with some apprehension that I return to work this Wednesday after being off for more or less all of March due to Calcification Tendinitis of the shoulder cuff.

My shoulder is around 80% recovered, I'm waiting now for a steroid injection, but cannot see that happening any time soon!

So back to work - I will phone the office on Tuesday to find out what is happening.

My truck (Mercedes Benz Actros) was taken off the road just before I went sick and is still off the road due to lack of work.

I do not know if they are re-taxing it or if I will be in another truck.

I would rather be in my own truck, not looking forward to driving a truck that someone else has been in recently!

From what I can make out from mates still on the road and from the trucking forums, we as truckers are not having an easy life out there.

Now, some would say that truckers are complaining too much, but, in some cases they are being treated like lepers!

Being refused access to toilets at business premises and not allowed to wash their hands is in my view poor conditions.

Service Stations have closed in many areas with no facilities at all, and you are still charged to park!

You are now having to shit in a bucket and piss in a bottle in your cab - is that really acceptable?

When unloading they are being told they must wait in a rest room containing up to 30 other drivers on some large sites, all crammed in together. Social distancing just not happening!

Since I've started trucking I have always been self sufficient. I make sure that I have enough food to last me the week and the equipment to cook and keep myself clean.

However, not all have the ability or the mindset to do this.

I for one will be practising my social distancing, I have a tool to ensure this will happen.

It's called a cricket bat, I carry it with me in the cab, by holding it out at arms length, I reckon it's approx 6ft. Get any closer and you will feel the smooth surface of willow on your noggin!

I carry a bucket with bin liners to poo in. I've been caught short before and out of necessity had to carry out the procedure and to be honest I've crapped in far worse situations.

I also carry a bottle to pee in, this is always in my cab, and I do use it often, so no worries or changes for me!

I reckon I will be ok, as long as folk keep their distance. But one thing is for sure I will not be waiting in any rest rooms whilst loading or unloading. I'll be in my cab, if I can't do that then I'm out of there.

Containers on the docks are starting to come back in slowly, but the problem now is that the companies that we deliver to are starting to shut down.

So I'm really not sure how long I'll be out on the road for.

The other questions is, do I come home? Although none of us here have any pre existing conditions, do I risk bringing the virus back into our sterile home?

Kiera is all ready starting to worry about it all, so not sure how things will pan out.

To be totally honest I hope we all get stood down, but until we do, I'm back on the road.

I'll keep an update either via my facebook page or via instagram.

Stay safe................












No comments:

Post a Comment