Monday, March 2, 2020

Not So Good Week - Week In The Life Of A HGV Tramper

The week before last, whilst opening a container door I felt a niggle in my left shoulder but thought no more of it other than, ouch, that was a bit sore.

But, by last Sunday, my shoulder and arm was really sore.

As I tend to battle on with minor injuries I thought with the help of pain killers I could push through it.

Eventually I had to give in, but I gave it a good go!

Monday

It was a late start as I had to go and give a couple of blood samples.

Two reasons, the first is I am due a colonoscopy as I had one a few years back and had a pollop removed. So this is just a routine check.

The second reason, I have been showing a couple of signs of Prostate Cancer, and I thought that whilst they were rummaging around up there they could check out my prostate!

Made sense to me!

So I gave blood and headed off to work.

Parked both my Mercedes next to each other!



Card in 0842 and I was off down to docks to pick up and empty box then head East towards Sittingbourne Kent to collect waste cardboard.

Here I am below in another queue - something we do a lot of as a container driver!



At Sittingbourne I was redirected to Ridham Docks - lovely place "not".



Backed into a massive shed and loaded with big reels of paper, bound for China once more.

An easy job and I was back in the yard, I couldn't get back onto the docks as there were no slots available.

As my shoulder was hurting too much I drove straight into a bay and looked out across the water to Southampton.



So card out at 1515, I drove 435km and had a drive time of 6 hrs 23 mins.

Tuesday

Card in 0527 and I was on the docks for 0600 - box off and full box on and off up to Wellingborough to do a trailer swap.

An easy job, but with a painful shoulder it proved difficult. 

From Wellingborough I was off to London Gateway.

The plan was to have my empty box taken off here and drive down to Tilbury Docks to have a full box put on.

However, London Gateway was shut, so was turned around and told to come back in an hour.

So I went back to our yard, parked up and waited. Eventually got in and had my box taken off but left me with no time to go to Tilbury so that was it for the day.

There was still a queue as I had waited for my box to be unloaded, I dread to think of the man hours wasted due to this past time.



I was glad about that as my shoulder/arm was hurting badly.

Card out 1745 - drive time was 6hrs and 34 mins and I had driven 402km.

Wednesday

I did not get a good nights sleep at all, the pain as I led down was almost too much

Card in 0414 and off down to Tilbury Docks.

I had never been in here before so it was a case of just following my nose and seeing where I ended up! It's not a big container port so I couldn't get too lost!

It all ended up fairly simple, and quick which makes a change for docks!

I left Tilbury and headed for Milton Keynes to a place I have been a few times before, so I knew where I was going and the set up once in, this makes a difference and life a lot simpler.

It took a while to unload, but eventually got going, but heading towards London Gateway.

I got back to our yard, and found out that there was a change to plan and the box had to go back to Tilbury Docks!

Back I went, had the box taken off as soon as I got on a slot which was excellent, then it was back to London Gateway to have an empty put on ready for the next day.

I parked up in our yard and the card came out at 1723 with 6hrs of driving time and travelled a total of 318km.

Thursday

I did not manage to sleep much, in fact I spent the night sat up in the passenger seat as to lay down caused me too much pain!

Card in at 0300 and I was off to Thrapston, Northamptonshire to load up and take back to Southampton.

I really was in a lot of pain so made the call that I was returning once loaded but coming back straight to the yard and going to the hospital!

Then another development occurred!  Whilst loading I received a text informing me that my truck was being taken off the road due to cost cutting due to the down turn in work due to the Corona Virus!

As you can imagine, all sorts of thoughts were running through my mind!

I'd just like to say that a phone call explaining the situation would of been better than getting a generic text message!

Once back I phone head office and had it explained what exactly was happening.

There is more to it but at this stage I won't say any more

Card our 1243 with 5 hrs 35 mins of driving time and 387km travelled.

Soon as I packed my gear up I was off to Lymington Minor Injuries Clinic.

I was seen pretty quick, it was fairly evident that I had no mobility in my shoulder and I was in considerable pain.

So was packed off to get Ibuprofen and Paracetamol and to make an appointment to see my Doctor. I was told I had suspected Calcific Tendonitis.

I dropped the paperwork off to my medical centre with the notes of diagnosis and tried to make an appointment. This I could not do as there were no appointments available and was told to call back first thing on Friday morning!

I dosed my self up and had an uncomfortable night sat up in my arm chair, but at least I was home!

Friday

Tried making an appointment to see my Doctor but all appointments were taken! It really is ridiculous how difficult it is to see a Doctor.

I was advised to do it online, so I did, and to be honest this was very simple.

I had to log on twice, once for a sick note to be issued, which took just a few minutes to complete and the second time was to contact my Doctor.

By late lunchtime my Doctor had called me, told me my sick note was ready for collection and that there was also another letter so I could have an xray on Monday morning at Lymington Hospital.

Next time I need to see a Doctor, no messing around just go on line and book it!

Being on pain killers and taken them when I should, ie regularly,  has helped ease the pain, plus no driving has made a huge difference to the pain that I am experiencing.

Saturday

Kiera drove me over to the yard, to get a few bits and pieces out of my truck, turn the fridge off etc.

It was a bit sad seeing my truck along with the other four, parked up and going no where for at least a month!

This Corona Virus is a bit of a worry, I just wonder if I will have a job to go back to!

Till later...............




No comments:

Post a Comment