Thursday, March 26, 2020

Key Worker? - By Doing More You Could End Up With Less!

I'm not really sure how to go about this without sounding like I am moaning or complaining.

I'm not, but I do think I have a valid point that requires addressing.

My problem is this.

A key worker (I fall into this category) is someone who carries on their daily work no matter how bad the virus gets.

This I do not have a problem with. I guess it helps with my mind set that I signed many years ago an Oath of Allegiance to Queen and Country. So will do what ever it takes. 

But I do have a bit of a gripe with this.

If you have been stood down or cannot work from home due to the virus as an employed person, you, via the Government will receive 80% of your wages.

We will hear later what is being given to the Self Employed later today, but, by all accounts there will be a rescue plan in place.

So, to stay safe and at home you will be paid - Brilliant. I totally agree.

However, those key workers who carry on, putting their lives and their families at risk day in day out only receive their normal pay.

Now, I am not asking for extra pay, but the issue I have is this.

If in the line of your work, particularly NHS and Careworkers ((As a truck driver I can pretty much self isolate in my cab) So I'm probably safer than most!) who are most likely to fall ill during this time - what help do you get.

Yep just your Statutory Sick Pay - that's  £94.24 a week.

So by doing more you will end up with less!

How on earth is this correct?

Stay safe...........

  

No comments:

Post a Comment