Monday, March 9, 2020

Corona Virus - My Thoughts - I Hope I'm Wrong!

As I see it we are in uncharted waters. Not having experienced anything like this before in my life time.

However, we can see what has been happening in other countries, ie, China, Iran and Italy where the outbreak has been considerable and has been on going for some time now.

But here in the UK what have we done, well, we have been told to wash our hands more often, resulting in a shortage of hand wash/soap in the supermarkets, and well, that's about it!

Surely with what has all ready happened in the countries mentioned we should be making a more of a robust stand against this virus?

I watched recently a University Lecturer from Cardiff University state there were no problems with the manufacturing process or distribution of Toilet Roll, so there was no need to panic buy.

I totally agree with him, under normal every day circumstances this is the case, however, what happens when 1/5th of the work force is off sick as predicted? How will it be manufactured? How will it be transported across the country to the supermarkets?

I was not aware that as a HGV Lorry Driver I was immune to the virus?

Or if we go into Lock Down - how will all the food be delivered at all?

I am getting a little tired of seeing on Facebook, post after post saying, it's no worse than a cold, no need to stock up.

Really?? 

Is this the same self-entitled group of people who expect their shopping just to turn up on their doorsteps after placing an order.

If you are on lock down, do you really think that someone on minimum wage is going to risk his or her health to bring you your 4 pack of loo roll and a tin of soup to keep you going!?

Think on, it will not be happening.

I have taken steps starting back in January to ensure we have enough food in the house to last 4 of us for at least 3 weeks, and yes that does include loo roll!

Do I want to be risking going out and catching the virus if under house containment just because I was too daft to think about stocking up in advance and thought it was just like getting the sniffles?

I hope I'm wrong, I really do, but somehow, with no signs of it getting any better, and with the situation growing worse by the hour I fail to see how I am.

So my advice to you, is this - stock up on essentials, and do it now over the next few days.

None of it will go to waste, just think of it as doing a months shopping all at once, it could even work out cheaper for you by buying in multi-packs etc.

To do nothing, and feel all righteous about only buying what you need for the next day or so, is foolish and to be quite frank, blindingly stupid.

Ask yourself one question - If you could not go out of your house for the next 14 days, would you have enough provisions to see you through?

If so, then no problem, but if you can't then you need to do something pronto!

This virus has only got worse because we let it, and that's mainly due to folk going out when there was no real need to. They could of stocked up on provisions and stayed in.

As a race, us Humans can be incredibly stupid, and I'm afraid to say, that the actions of many in regard to this virus proves that beyond doubt.

Now I will probably get grief for this post, but do I care? No - My family will be safe, well fed and have enough loo roll to wipe our arses with out resorting to using odd socks!

Till later...................

No comments:

Post a Comment