Friday, October 5, 2018

Salisbury Cathedral Return 89.9km On A Fat Bike

The other day when I rode out to Fordingbridge I decided that I would return over the forest and not continue towards Salisbury.

It made for a great ride, but I did kick myself a little for not continuing. So I thought today I would amend this fact and head for Salisbury.

My route to Fordingbridge was exactly the same so I won't bore you with the details of that part of the trip.

I'll pick up from Fordingbridge.

At Fordingbridge I discovered a little cafe, where I stopped for a brew and a sausage roll, it had been a relatively easy journey so far as for the most part the route was flat.

Sitting in the cafe by the window I saw an old mate I used to work with walk by, he came in and we had a quick chat, it was good to catch up with him.

From Fordingbridge I headed through the town and turned left at the Post Office.

This took me eventually onto Whitsbury Road, and towards Whitsbury. This road started off with a barely noticeable incline, in fact it's wasn't till I was returning I really noticed it, but as the journey continued the road got steeper and steeper. Almost 6km of going up hill.

I was a bit out of puff by the time I had reached what is known as the "Gallops"




You can see why! Just down the road is a race horse training facility.

This is where the road got interesting. I thought by looking at the map (I use google maps) that the road was all tarmac. 

Here it turns into a byway, no problem for me on my fatbike, I was just not expecting it!

I followed round the edge of the gallops for a short distance, crossed them, then headed down a long flint and chalk hill, expecting my tyres to shred as I went down at some speed, but all ok.



The other side turned into a rutted track, a number of 4x4's must of been having a good play here - should of taken a photo, there was a muddy rutted section full of water, I managed to scoot round the edges.


It was not long before it levelled out to a well maintained byway, loose gravel, no problems for my tyres.


I really did feel as if I was out in the middle of no where, I could here no road noise at all, just the odd pheasant and bird song.

Nearing the end of the byway it turned back to tarmac and it was then a long steep descent all the way into Odstock.

Passing through the village and then up a long climb towards Odstock Hospital.

Once I had passed the hospital it was into the City of Salisbury, a bit of traffic to contend with and all down hill towards the Cathedral.


Here I had a good break, got talking to a guy who rides a recumbent bike. That's the ones that look like you are laying down on them!

I knew I was about to hit some big hills, so plenty of fuel to aid me home I set off.

First hill, was the climb out of Salisbury back up to the Hospital, the worst part was at the beginning by the ambulance station, that is steep!

Passed the hospital and then a long down hill, just as well as the next hill out of the village of Odstock is a killer.

In fact it beat me! It just kept on going, about 1/3 of the way up I just stopped, walked for around 5 minutes then set off back up the hill.

I noticed 3 separate accounts of fly tipping nearing the top of the hill, hate seeing it.

The rest of the journey was fairly easy, with it nearly being all down hill or flat. Slight headwind but nothing to really worry about.

I did manage to see the pigs at Ibsley this time, I didn't stop last time I went passed them.


I stopped by the Ford at Moyles Court for a break and more fuel, then it was a steady ride home.

I had completed 89.9km in just over 6 1/2 hrs - I was happy with that.





Ride safe......

No comments:

Post a Comment