Thursday, October 18, 2018

Fitting A Mudguard To A Fat Bike

Yesterday I went out in the rain and got a wet arse!

So today's mission was to find a way of solving this problem.

Not as easy as one would think - having 4" tyres and a rear pannier rack makes for fitting a mudguard a bit of a challenge.

I have in the past used various pieces of plastic bottles, a 5 litre screen wash bottle and a 2 litre Fairy washing liquid bottle have both been cut and played with.

I even bought a Topeak Defender RX MTB Mudguard, but found that it worked itself loose very quickly and was a complete waste of time.


With nothing to loose I decided that somehow I would make the mudguard fit.

It involved a hacksaw, a drill and some tie wraps.

I had to cut the top mounting bracket off - I cut it flush with the mudguard, drilled a couple of holes in it at each end and tie wrapped it to my pannier rack - 20 minutes to think about it and 5 minutes to execute and fit.

The result a proper job, and hopefully a dry arse!


Not sure if you can tell but it is actually round the other way than originally designed, but it does look reasonably professional!

You can buy the Topeak Defender RX MTB Mudguard on ebay. Click the link and it will take you straight there.

Will find out next time it rains if it actually works!

Ride safe....





No comments:

Post a Comment