Sunday, October 28, 2018

Bolderwood Loop New Forest 48km On A Fat Bike

Took the fat bike out today and headed off in search of new trails.

Up onto Wilverley Plain, down towards Brockenhurst, and cut through on a gravel track to reach the Rhinefield road.

It was a bit blowy up on top of the plain but the sun was shining so I had to stop for a quick picture.




Past the Rhinefield Hotel and over the A35, just after crossing the road I turned into the car park for the Knightwood Oak. I have written about this place in a previous post.

Through the carpark and up a gravel track with a slight incline. It's then just a question of following the track.

The first few km's takes you deep into the forest, and I was completely on my own, no road noise, nothing.

It was old forest, with plenty of large oaks around, it really was wonderful to be out, especially as the sun often popped it's head out from behind the clouds.

There really is nothing better than watching the sun filter it's way through thick forest.




I managed to see some pigs and stopped to watch them for a few minutes.




Once I reached Bolderwood I looped around and headed South once more. I was looking for a track that would take me up towards the A31.

I came across a track but it had a "No Cycling" sign on it, I could of easily not seen it, but as I had thought that I would comply and seek an alternative route.

I carried on and eventually came across a tarmac road at a cross roads.



I decided to follow the road, up past a lovely big house in the middle of no where and continued onto a gravel track which after a really long climb brought me out on a track which ran parallel with the A31. 

I followed this track all the way back to Picket Post where I turned left and headed for Burley.

Here I watched the world go by for a few minutes and had a bite to eat.

Onwards out of Burley towards Bransgore, but at Burbush Car Park I turned left onto the Castleman trail - a disused railway line.

I followed this for a short distance till I hit Holmsley Passage and made my way up the hill.

Across the A35 and into the wooded area opposite, and made my way towards Holmsley Road.

From here it was a quick blast back past the Rising Sun Pub, big gears all the way home.

I did manage to break another Personal Record so was pleased with the overall effort.

Total distance covered 48.77km


Ride safe.........

No comments:

Post a Comment