Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Why A Fat Bike??

A very good question!

There are a number of reasons why I decided on a Fat Bike, but  - "What exactly is one?"

A Fat Bike is basically a Mountain Bike Frame built to accommodate 4" tyres.

"Why so big wheels?"

These are to allow you cycle through terrain, such as gravel, sand, water, rocks and snow easier.

The bigger the tyre, the greater the footprint is on the ground and due to this factor it provides you with more grip.


"So why not just get a Mountain Bike?"

Simply because I feel that the Fat Bike does a better job of getting through rough terrain, with little or no impact on the ground you are traversing.

Plus as anyone who has been following me for a while knows - I like to be different!

There was one other important consideration.

I'm a big lad, and I needed a bike that could handle that fact!

The over sized tyres, inflated to around 20psi easily copes with my weight, making the bike perfect for those on the plus size!

After a good deal of research I decided on a Calibre Dune Fat Bike, bought from GoOutdoors.

It is classed as an upper end entry level bike. Costing approx £600.00 New.

You can buy cheaper (see previous posts) but I wanted a new bike, didn't want to spend a fortune and this ticked all the boxes.

There is also a very loyal following of Fat Bikes here in the UK and abroad.


Since I took ownership of my bike I have gained a great deal of enjoyment from it, lost weight (nearly 2 stones) and it has got me out and about the Forest and the Coast.

None of this would of happened if I had not taking the plunge and bought the bike.

I enjoy it so much that I have even set myself a challenge to cycle from John O'Groats to Lands End in September 2019 using the least amount of roads as possible!

All in aid of a very worthy cause "Pilgrim Bandits" - Follow the link ----->>>>HERE<<<<-----
to find out more about this and if you wish donate a couple of pounds it will go towards helping Veterans who have been severely injured in the course of serving their country.

So please follow this new blog.

Ride safe


No comments:

Post a Comment