Monday, November 12, 2018

Remembrance Sunday Ride 12.6km On A Fat Bike

After attending a well turned out parade in New Milton I decided that I would take a ride out on the fat bike and visit the War Memorials and take a couple of pictures.

Impossible to do with the crowds so left it an hour and then ventured out.

New Milton has a well kept Memorial and this year there were large Poppies next to the benches and Silent RBL signs.





I thought I would ride past the two main churches near by, one Catholic and the other Church of England.

Neither that I could see had any wreaths at the Church.

This does make me wonder as to why there are none - after all the very first line in the "Oath of Allegiance" that every serviceman takes is "I swear by Almighty God" 

If I am able to offer an "Oath of Allegiance" in his name then at least I expect back is a wreath on the Church door!

I did ride by the local Baptist church and displayed on their church was a large RBL banner - So it can be done!

Riding down to Barton On Sea I went to pay my respects to the Indian War Memorial.

This Memorial is in honour of the many 1000's of Indian Servicemen who convalesced at Barton during the First World War. Sadly many did not make it home.

I visited at 1430hrs and could see no wreaths, which upset me, I emailed the Town Council on my return home and within 20 mins had a reply saying that there was a ceremony at 1500hrs and that members of the Hampshire Sikh Council and many others would be in attendance.

So glad to see that they were not forgotten. 








Many forget including myself how many Commonwealth Countries were involved, just watching the wreaths being laid at the Cenotaph highlights this.

Finally I rode up through town and looked at a small plaque erected on the side of a building in the centre of town.

Here we remember 20 residents who were killed during World War 2 by enemy bombing on the 23rd August 1940 at 1830hrs



A day of emotions, I served and am proud to of done so - Lest We Forget

Ride Safe...........

No comments:

Post a Comment