Friday, January 18, 2019

Day 22 Week 4 - War Graves - Alkmaar - Egmond Aan Zee - Bergen Aan Zee - Burning Off Lunch!

Another day on the bikes - I love Holland!

We have not used the car since we have been here - everything is go geared up for cycling.

Today the sun was shining and it is New Year's Eve!

I wanted to head off out on my bike as the girls were all off shopping.

My first port of call was the War Graves - There is over 200 graves, which are beautifully maintained.

I was told that this year on Christmas Eve a candle lit vigil was held where the local villagers placed a candle on each headstone. Very touching indeed and a credit to the locals for doing so.



I walked up and down every line and said out loud each and every name, they will not be forgotten!

I must admit I shed a tear, I was the only one there so could get away with it.

From here I retraced the route we did the day before and headed towards Alkmaar. Instead of going into the town I scooted around the edges and made my way out towards Egmond Aan Zee.

As of yet I haven't had chance to take a proper look at either Egmond or Egmond Aan Zee - maybe next summer.

Up to the coast and then back through the Dunes towards Bergan Aan Zee where I was meeting everyone else for lunch.

As you can see below, plenty of folk out walking along the beach at Egmond Aan Zee.





Made it to Bergen Aan Zee bang on time and had a fabulous lunch.

Now it was time to burn it off by cycling the short distance back to the hotel.

A good ride of 40.5km in windy but dry conditions.

Ride safe...

No comments:

Post a Comment