Sunday, January 20, 2019

Cracked Frame On Calibre Dune Fat Bike

On my last ride I could hear a creak as I peddled. I put it down to either the bottom bracket or the pedals creaking.

As there was only a noise as I was peddling, I thought that it had to be either of those two items.

However, it got me thinking. I had read on-line that there have been a few problems with the frames of Calibre Dune Fat Bikes cracking.

I wondered if the noise that I could hear was actually the frame flexing?

I went back out to the bike, tipped it over to look underneath and low and behold there was a crack on the bottom rear stay!

Further investigation on line found that the very same day someone else had suffered a similar fate.

The crack is not on the weld, but a few millimetres away from it. This happens because the weld was overheated which makes the aluminium weak away from the weld.


Obviously a problem in manufacturing somewhere along the line.

Anyway, I contacted GoOutdoors who suggested that I bring the bike back into them for inspection, it would not be looked at till Monday due to staff shortages but bring it it.

I also fired off a message to Calibre via FaceBook to see what response I got from them.

This was late Friday evening.

Later on that evening I received a reply from Calibre asking for a photo which I sent them back. By this time it was gone 2245hrs, but within seconds I received a reply back from them saying thanks and that to take the bike in to GoOutdoors as arranged and it would be dealt with.

Well, considering the time of night, I thought that to be excellent customer service - so well done Calibre!

The picture below is the bike naked, I also took the seat post out as I did not want my Brooks saddle to be damaged whilst in the workshop.


It feels so light in stock mode!

I took the bike back to Southampton GoOutdoors on Sunday (today).

I walked in and found the guy that originally sold me the bike working away building bikes, told him the story, he looked at it and agreed there was a crack and said that they had a frame out the back and would swap components off of mine and onto the new frame!

There are only two snags, well one really. Firstly due to staff shortages and time the bike will not be ready till the 30th January at the latest. 10 days - which to be honest is not too long and they did say that it may be done quicker.

The other snag which may actually work out to be a benefit (not sure yet) is that the frame they have is a "Large" and my current frame is a "Medium"

Now, I am hoping that this will help me as it does mean that the head stock will be higher on the "Large" frame which will be a benefit.

I realise that the frame is longer by approx 2cm, but that adjustment can be made from my saddle to bring me further forwards.

So with a bit of juggling and testing out I am hoping that this will work in my favour.

Time will tell I guess?

Anyway, as I am about to start a 3 week contract working 12 hour days, cycling would of been at a minimum so there is no great loss in training.

I just hope it does not snow as we rarely get snow in these parts and to miss out as there is a slim chance of a sprinkling would be just my luck to not be able to ride in it!

Ride safe....

No comments:

Post a Comment