Saturday, February 22, 2020

T-Bone Steak Night With Salsa Verde

I do love a good steak!

T-Bone steak being my favourite as the cuts on the bone are the best you can get.

I bought this T-Bone locally to me at Dane Stream Farm Butchers.

Cut to my specification which was 2" thick.




It weighed in at a whopping 2kg and cost £46.00 which sounds a lot, but not when you think how much a big steak would cost if you were to buy 2 meals at a pub!

I was going to keep it simple by just seasoning it with sea salt and cracked black pepper.

But there was more to come!

Firstly I decided to make my own sweet chilli sauce. Armed with a handful of chilli's roughly cut I added them to a small pan, poured in a mug full of water, and a mug full of brown sugar and brought it to the boil, turned it down and left it to simmer for a good while.


This reduced down the liquid and once this had happened I got my electric masher/blender and blitzed it down where I left it to cool.

I forgot to take any pictures of the final product, but rest assured it had some kick!

Next I had to make a Salsa Verde.

This consists of:-

Basil
Mint
Flat Leafed Parsley
Garlic
Gherkins
Capers
Big Dollop of Dijon Mustard
Big Slugs of Olive Oil
5 or 6 Anchovies Fillets

All in a bowl and blitzed.

It's a taste sensation that is a great accompaniment to many meat and salad dishes.


I had part cooked so red skinned potatoes in a pan complete with a couple of bulbs of garlic to add some flavour, left them to drain as I was going to roast these.

Before I started to cook the steak, I trimmed off all the fat, chopped it up small and placed it in a hot cast iron griddle to render it down, the liquid fat from this was going to be used for my potatoes.

Potatoes in the pan, complete with the smashed up garlic cloves, the beef fat liquid and some slugs of olive oil and in the oven it went.

Portabello  Mushrooms were peeled, and butter added along with finely crushed garlic and these also went into the oven.

Finally Beef Steak Mushroom were sliced and seasoned with salt and chives.

Just to cook the steak now!

A searing hot cast iron skillet did the trick, 4-5 mins on each edge and side did the trick and it was ready to serve!



The meat was amazing, so tender and with the tang of the Salsa Verde plus the garlic roast potatoes and mushrooms it was the business, the coolness of the tomatoes and with the hotness of the sweet chilli sauce I was in 7th heaven!

Well worth every penny spent, and time took to prepare the feast.

Not that I minded, a few beers and wine were sunk in the making of this and all that was left was the washing up and a T-Bone!


Till later..........



No comments:

Post a Comment