Thursday, February 13, 2020

Day 5 of 5 Day In The Life Of A HGV Tramper

My alarm went off at 0420hrs, good job it's Friday!

Managed to get a really good nights sleep, I did wake a couple of times, but did not hear the two trucks pulling away that were parked either side of me!

I was due on the docks in Southampton at 0700hrs, but wanted to get back to the yard and refuel.

This I managed to do and was on the docks bang on 0700hrs. It was quiet, and I was given two destinations to go to, one to get my box taken off, and another to get a full box put on.

I was on the docks for a little over 1 1/2hrs, I had hit shift change which slows things down a bit!


It was lovely watching the sun come up though.

Once I had my box on, I headed off to Milton Keynes, I had plenty of time to get there so I had a quick break at Rownhams for porridge, then it was off up the M3, M25 and M1.

No real hold ups and got there with plenty of time to spare. I went on into the site to see if I could get unloaded early and they let me in.

Parking on a bay in this location was a bit tricky as they do not give you much room to play with!



As you can see, not much room for error! You get the thickness of the yellow line on both sides and that's it. You can also see from the yellow tube, those that didn't get it quite right!

It's not like you had a great deal of room in front of the truck either as it was full of pallets!


The life of a truck driver can be a little boring sometimes, those pallets are stacked approx 20 high and 2 deep, which gives you an idea of how many there are. (sad as I counted them).

It was a quick unload, then a drive back to Southampton and home and finish for the week.

I got back and pulled my card at 1605hrs, driving 489km and with a drive time for the day of 7hrs and 18 mins.

So ends my week, 2085kms driven. That in all honesty was a fairly easy week. I spent 4 nights away which is good as you get paid extra for doing that.

I was glad to finish though, bring on the weekend!

Till later............

No comments:

Post a Comment