Sunday, February 9, 2020

Day 1 of 5 - Day In The Life Of A HGV Tramper

I was told on Friday that due to delays with the boats, there were no jobs first thing and to come into the yard for 0800hrs.

I arrived at 0730hrs so that I could unload all my kit and get a brew going before I start the day and put my card in.

Once I was sorted, my card went in at 0757. The clock is now ticking! Maximum working hours is 15.

Had a chat with a few of the other drivers and had a brew.


At 0900hrs I was given a job, down to the docks with my empty box to be off loaded, then a full box to be loaded onto my truck.

For a change it was lovely and quiet on the docks, as soon as I pulled onto a slot, the straddler was behind me waiting to lift off my box, Brilliant, first part done in less than 5 mins!

Onto another area of the docks for a full box, this time it took a little longer, just over 10 mins which again is a record time.

So all in all I was done on the docks in under an hour.

I decided to pull into Rownhams Services on the M27 to sort myself out and plan where I was going to stop for the night.

The delivery time was Tuesday at 0600hrs so I had plenty of time and didn't have to rush at all.

Had 1/2hr break, and headed up the road, I got to Cherwell Valley Services on the M40 and stopped again, as I would not of made it all the way to my nights destination before running out of time.

Had another 1/2hr which reset my tacho and I was off up North.

I had looked on the map and decided that my nights destination would be Lymm Truck Services just off the M6, a massive truck park, secure ish and easy to get in and out of.

I arrived around 1530hrs, went and paid for my parking £24.50 and signed off for the day.

Card came out at 1542hrs, I had driven 371km and a total driving time of 5hrs 17mins.

An easy day!


Its always good to get into a truck stop early as they fill up rapidly from around 1600hrs, by 1900hrs tonight this place will be rammed to the rafters!

Tonight I have left over Chinese Takeaway from Saturday night reheated in the microwave.

I'm going to watch a bit of TV on my ipad via BBC iplayer, possibly read a bit and that will be it!

An early night, and hopefully a good nights sleep with the alarm set for 0430hrs

I aim to be away by 0500hrs which gives me a full hour to get to my location. It should only take me 30 mins to get there so plenty of time in hand.

That's Monday done and dusted,

Till later........




No comments:

Post a Comment