Sunday, February 16, 2020

A Quiet Week - HGV Tramper

Monday

I had to take my truck in for it's 6 weekly service.

So I had to unhook my trailer, and take the tractor unit down to our local Mercedes Benz Truck Dealership for 0700hrs

I waited in the drivers rest room whilst they completed the work, and was on my way within a couple of hours.

Not that there was anything much to rush back for!

This time of year (Chinese New Year) means the docks are quiet and even more so this year due to the Corona Virus outbreak.

Once back at the yard, I had just enough time to have a brew and admire the view when I had a quick job to go down to the quay with an empty trailer and pick up a box.



Come back to the yard, unhook and park up!

I then went into the office and completed some FORS training it's dumbing down of information that the Haulage Industry/Government require you to know as a professional driver.

I honestly felt a bit insulted as I worked my way through the module, as for every right answer you got right, you were given an imaginary prize of an element of a full British Fry Up! 

Question 1 - correct - you get a sausage!

All questions completed you get a full breakfast!

Really???

So in total today I did 62km and drove for 2hrs and 13 mins and won an imaginary breakfast!

Tuesday

I actually stayed at home! I was on standby all day which meant that I had to be back at the  yard within the hour if they called me, but with no boats in, there was no chance of that happening!

So day off!

I put my time to good use and played with my router.



Wednesday

I was in the yard for 0730hrs, hooked up a trailer with a 40ft box on it and took it to the quay to be unloaded/exported.

Watched a good sunrise as I had my coffee.



I then had to go and collect an empty 20ft box and deliver it to a company just down the road at Dock Gate 4.

As soon as I arrived at the location I called the company I was delivering to and they sent over a fork lift to lift off my box.

Down at Dock Gate 4 you can often see a few interesting things either being exported or imported.


 

An old Soviet BRDM-2 Not many of these in the UK.

On the way back I decided to take the truck for a bath.




Returned to the yard, and parked up and was off home - another easy day.

39km and 1hr 19mins of drive time.

Thursday

I was late in due to a Doctors appointment.

As soon as I was sorted I was off to collect a 40ft empty box and was to make my way down to Redruth in Cornwall.

I had plenty of time as my collection time was 1000hrs the following day. (Friday)

A nice easy drive down, stopping for a break on the A30 and as per usual couldn't help noticing all the rubbish in the layby.




I ended up in Cornwall Services, recently built, but not nearly big enough for the amount of trucks that use it. The facilities are also a bit iffy as well.


The one good thing is that the bays are nice and wide!

369km travelled - with 5hr 14mins of drive time


Friday

I had a good nights sleep but was woken early by the wind making one of the wind deflectors vibrate - irony at it's best! Plus it's not every day you wake up next to a Rock Legend!


After a breakfast of coffee and porridge I was off - I only had a 30 minute drive and gave myself plenty of time to get there.

I had to wait a few minutes to get on site, but was soon ready to be loaded with waste paper.





Doors closed and sealed and after weighing in I topped out at just under 42 Tonnes.

Being that heavy meant that on some of the hills on the A30 I was down to under 20mph as I crawled up them!

Finally getting back to our yard just after 1800hrs, refuelled and parked up

406km travelled with a drive time of 6hrs 19mins in total.

And so ends another week.

Till later...............

No comments:

Post a Comment