Tuesday, September 25, 2018

My 1st 100km On My Calibre Dune Fat Bike

Training has been going well, and I'm feeling stronger as the days go by, so I thought I had better start thinking about completing my first 100km ride.

100km is approx 63 miles, the furthest I had ridden prior to this was around 52 miles and that was in Holland.

So with the weather looking kind with sunshine for the whole day and a light Northerly wind of around 7mph I set off from my home in New Milton.

Heading North out of New Milton, today would be 98% tarmac, it was the miles I was after.

I stopped for a breather at the top of Wilverley Plain, just before my decent into Brockenhurst. I was 8km in at this point and the weather was beautiful if still a little nippy!


Straight through Brockenhurst and out towards Beaulieu - the picture below was taken looking out over Hatchet Pond, just before I turned in towards East Boldre at the 20km mark.


Beaulieu is a picturesque village, I stopped to take a couple of pics before I rode up through the centre towards a coffee shop at the top of the High Street



I stopped at Steffs Kitchen which is attached to a garden centre, the coffee came in a massive mug and was a lovely brew. There was plenty of choice on the menu but to be honest all looked a bit pricey, but it is a tourist trap so I wasn't really surprised.

I spent about 30 mins here, saddled up and set off once more. I've completed 25km so far and all is well.


It was a  great run towards Lepe Beach, for the most part the road was level apart from the one hill as you leave Beaulieu - a little bit daunting as not long ago a cyclist was knocked over and killed at the top!

At Lepe they have just opened a new cafe, I didn't stop here as I wanted my next stop to be at Calshot. It looked impressive, forgot to take a photo. Riding into Lepe I was right in the groove and felt very strong. 35km in the bag!


The weather was fabulous, a light breeze and the sun was shining, perfect weather for cycling. These are the beach huts at Calshot, I rode to the end where the Castle is.


Calshot Castle in all it's glory, a quick ride around it - (took 1 min) and then into the little known cafe which is situated in the large hanger next to the castle.

The hanger now houses an indoor ski centre, a rock climbing school and a velodrome.


Sat outside the back of the cafe with perfect views across the Solent and out towards the Isle of Wight. A perfect place for lunch.

Which I must add was excellent and cheap - it really is a hidden gem!

At 42km this was the furthest East I would ride, it was now time to back track.



Back at Beaulieu it was time for another rest, I was starting to feel a little tired now. I had just hit 60km and my left knee was hurting a bit. Once again there was a climb out of Beaulieu towards Bucklers Hard.


Bucklers Hard - famous for its ship building in days gone by, a lovely ride out to this point. 63km now completed.


Now for the long ride towards Lymington Quay. Complete with headwind which I wasn't expecting. I had a few minutes sat on the quay catching my breath as I knew the next stage would be even harder. 75km completed I knew the end was in sight!


Having a final rest at Barton Sea Front. 90km to go, but as I was only a few km's away from home the final leg saw me riding every road I could just to clock up the distance!


I finally got home 11hrs after I had set off. 100km's completed with a riding time of 7hrs 12 mins on a fatbike.

I was happy that I had completed it, but there is still so much more training to do.

Pretty tired with sore legs, but I did have the satisfaction of knowing I had ridden 100km in a day.


Ride safe....


No comments:

Post a Comment