Saturday, September 15, 2018

John O'Groats to Land's End September 2019

It's now official!

In September 2019 I aim to ride my Calibre Dune Fat Bike from John O'Groats to Lands End!

The time I have allocated for this journey is a whopping 30 days - This will allow me enough time to cover the NC500 and the West Highland Way and as many trails, tracks, cycle-paths, towpaths and bridleways as I possibly can.

I intend to keep tarmac to an absolute minimum.

Having all ready accomplished a double end to end and all four corners of the UK, I have a rough idea of what I am letting myself in for.

As per the last time, I will be fully self supported, with no back-up.

Camping for the most part and taking advantage of any hospitality that I am lucky enough to receive.

So why JOGLE and not LEJOG I hear you ask?

The simple reason for this is that I have friends who live down in Cornwall, and having them as a base at the end of the trip is mighty handy, plus it is easier for friends and family to join me at the finish as I live on the South Coast.

There is also a psychological reason of travelling down hill! However I do expect to have my share of Headwinds going in this direction. 

I'm in training as you can see by the Strava feed that you can see just to your right of this post.

I aim to cycle approx 50 miles a day, which to be honest on a fully loaded bike on trails is far enough!



I cycle when I can, and it's a slow process of slowly building up my fitness levels.

I can honestly say I feel so much better for cycling and since I started cycling back in late March I have seen a noticeable difference in my stamina and fitness levels.

It will be a long drag through the winter, but rain or shine I will be out spinning the cogs.

Let the adventure begin!

2 comments:

  1. HI There, Im about to take the plunge and ride my c90 from LE to JOGraots. I was wondering do you have a spares and tool list that you used for your trips and any tips for the bike etc. Regards dave Mc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I took spare tyres, used the rear one but not the front, I also took a spare chain, which again I did use.
    I also took spark plugs, spare sprockets (front/rear) didnt use either.
    Oil - used only 1/2 litre all the way round (3000 miles)!
    I replaced the rear shockers before I left and did an oil change. Other than that no problems at all.
    Tools - I took loads, not that I needed them, but you never know.
    The C90 can carry loads, it carried my fat arse round plus loads of luggage and coped no problem - enjoy your trip.
    Email me on joolsmauro@gmail.com direct for any other help. I have a mate in Thurso, if you have any mechanical problems let me know Im sure he will help if he can.

    ReplyDelete