Saturday, September 29, 2018

Keyhaven Loop By Fatbike 30.3km

For today's ride I headed East out of New Milton through the town towards Ashley, where I headed South and then turned West heading for Hordle.

I kept to the South of Hordle along the lanes to a lane where I knew there was a track that lead me South, but I was not sure if it was passable or not.

So it was with a bit of trepidation that on the corner of Skyend Lane and Vicarage Lane I turned right down a gravel track which soon lead to a single track with overgrown vegetation.

I pushed on, and eventually came out on the main road A337 at the top of Barnes Lane.

Crossing the main road I followed Barnes Lane all the way into Milford On Sea. A rather delightful little village. Here I stopped on the Green for a few minutes to catch my breath.



Heading East and down to Keyhaven Harbour, it was a bit windy by by the waters edge, but a pleasant way to while away a few minutes.


It was then onto Lymington across the old Roman Road, then up through Pennington turning left at the old school and Church, back along Wainsford Road towards Everton.

As you approach Everton - Wainsford Road makes a sharp left, but on this corner is a Byway which leads back towards Gordleton and Silver Street.

I had never taken this track either, so once more a trip into the unknown. To be fair it was nothing more than a gravel path to start with, which then turned into a gravel track and then eventually tarmac. So easy to ride.

Not long after I had started on the track and I met another cyclist with a lawn mower on his back!

A uphill section on Silver Street took me back in the direction of New Milton, here I met 
another cyclist this time carrying a car tyre!

I turned right at Barrrows Lane and headed North towards Sway, about 1/2 way along this road is  Sway Tower - an experimental concrete tower!


At the end of this road I crossed over and joined Lower Mead End Road, which eventually after turning onto Middle Road runs into the quaintly named village of Tiptoe!

From here it was a quick blast home, covering 30.3km giving me a total for the week of 178km - happy with that!

In fact it is a new record for me.


Ride safe......

No comments:

Post a Comment