Saturday, September 29, 2018

Bolderwood Hill Return 46.6km On A Fat Bike

The weather was glorious, so another training day out on the fatbike.

I decided to try and get up to a part of the forest that I had not cycled before.

I knew there was a steep hill at the furthest point of the ride, so I decided to make that my return point.

Heading North out of New Milton it only takes me 10 minutes of cycling to hit the forest.

A rapid descent to Wootton Bridge followed by a climb back up to Wilverley Plain - Followed once more by a descent towards Brockenhurst.


Just before I reached the outskirts of Brockenhurst I cut across the forest using trails, this brought me out on to Rhinefield Road and I headed towards Puttles Bridge.

Just before the Rhinefield Hotel I turned off on to a forest track and headed East towards Aldridge Campsite, shut now due to the winter (can't make out why they shut)? My only thought is it's it due to it being next to the river and it can flood.

Then headed back in a loop towards Flechs Water and back through the forest where I eventually joined the end of Rhinefield Road just before it meets the A35.

Crossing over the A35 it was a 2 minute ride to the oldest oak tree in the forest. The Knightwood Oak and Queen of the Forest! Around 500 years old, the stories it could tell!


It was now back on the tarmac and heading up towards Bolderwood Hill, being almost 4km of climbing, some of it very steep. I made it in one go although I was panting a bit at the top!

I had lunch at the top in the picnic area mobbed with primary school kids which to be honest was great to see. Much better being outside learning about nature than in a class room.

After a bit of a rest it was back the way I came, a lovely easy but fast descent, where I met up with a crazy Dutch couple. At the bottom we all stopped and had a quick chat, I gave them directions back to Burley.

I mentioned that my wife grew up in Holland and they asked what part so I told them, they both looked astonished as they only live a few km's away from where Kiera's father still lives! Small world.

Across the A35 and back towards Blackwater and what we call "Daisy's Trees" here I sat for a few minutes just reflecting on life.

You cannot see on this photograph, but right in the distance a couple of dear came out and were feeding on the track - always a magical sight.


From here it was a ride towards Brockenhurst. I was going to cut across the forest again, but decided to go the long way round as my legs still felt good.

A couple of short climbs out of Brockenhurst and I was on top of Wilverley Plain once more, a fast descent, then over Wootton Bridge and the long climb up towards the Rising Sun Pub.

That was my last climb, it was now down hill and big gears all the way home.

46.6km completed bringing my weekly figure up to 148km - not bad for a fat lad!


Ride safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment