Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Fat Bike Calibre Dune In For 1st Service - Bottom Bracket Broken!

Over my last few rides I had started to notice a slight clicking from my bottom bracket on each revolution of my pedals.

For those who are not sure what a bottom bracket is or even where it is or what it does Ill give a quick explanation.

Not my bike!

The bottom bracket or (BB) for short joins the pedals together. It is housed within the frame of the bike and has bearings either side to ensure that as you turn the pedals there is smooth rotation.

Or rather there should be if the bearings are not worn!

My Calibre Dune was due it's 1st service and so I mentioned this to the mechanic who said they would take a look for me.

I received a phone call yesterday saying that the bearings were badly damaged, and I was asked how I cleaned the bike.

It was implied that I must of washed it using a pressure washer as there was no grease in the bearings at all.

The fact that I have not got a pressure washer and have never used it to clean the bike was pointed out to them, and that maybe the fault was due to poor installation in the first place as the bike has only done 700 miles with probably only 300 miles of that off road.

I appreciate that the bearings wear out, but not that quickly.

I have been told that they will replace the bearings under warranty as the bike is so new, but I do have to wait a week for the part to arrive as they do not keep them in stock.

So I am without a bike this week.

Ride safe...............

No comments:

Post a Comment