Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Campsite - Rushcroft Farm Sway New Forest - Fat Biking

I live about 5 miles roughly from the campsite, and as this was the 1st time with a fully loaded up fat bike, this was a good distance to try out the loading of the bike.

I must say that it all went well, with no obvious problems to report.

Once at the campsite, my name was posted on a board by the entrance showing my pitch.

This was down in the back packers field.

I made my way through the site, with hard standing pitches and a large grass field to my field.

Everything was well laid out and with loads of space between pitches which is always a good sign.



I was tucked right up in the corner of the field, not that I had to worry as I was the only one here! On the 2nd night I had a Belgian couple turn up on touring bikes. They were travelling between Portsmouth and Plymouth.



It didn't take long to get the tent set up, which I will write about in another post, but it is a new tent. My Vango Banshee 200 was a great tent, but I was limited to space and I really wanted an awning to store panniers and to be able to cook in if the weather took a turn for the worse.

So I managed to find a Vango Tornado 200. Still a 2 man tent, but with masses of storage space at the front.


Still using Army mess tins, (old habits die hard)! In my opinion you cannot beat them.





You can clearly see here how much space is at the front - this is such a benefit when camping.


Being dark green in colour the tent blends into the scenery so ideal if you wanted to go into full on stealth mode.

The tent worked a treat, although I have yet to test it in high winds or heavy rain.

So this was my base for 2 nights. 

The site had showers and toilets in the next field which were free.

If you want a party site where you can sing and dance till the early hours this place is not for you, but if you want peace and quiet get yourselves booked in.

By 2130hrs the only thing you could hear was the slight breeze in the trees!

I would highly recommend this site - There is a pub within 10 minutes of walking, a small shop, a bistro/cafe and a butchers.

Plus if you want to come by train, the station is the same distance away.

The site is Rushcroft Farm well worth a visit if you are wanting to stay within the New Forest.

I had a relatively early night, I wanted to get in a full day of cycling the next day. I didn't have a brilliant nights sleep due to it being a bit warm, and I really should of had the tent around the other way which would of given me more head space when sleeping.

But all in all I felt it was much better than the Banshee.

Till later.......ride safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment