Monday, July 30, 2018

Getting Ready For A Fat Bike Mini Adventure - Bikepacking

Its been a while since I have done any camping, in fact it has been ages!

So with a free weekend coming up I decided to set the bike up ready for a mini adventure.

The plan was to ride out to a local campsite, set up, then the next day do a full days ride, return, camp again, and the next day, ride fully loaded a long way home.

I had never been camping by bicycle before, on a motorbike, especially the Ural you just throw everything in it and not worry about the weight at all.

Different story when you have to self propel the bike!

A few days before I set off it was my birthday, so with a few bits of kits that I got for my birthday, which was the two rear handlebar pouches/dip bags and the front roll handlebar bag I did a trial fitting of all my gear.








I managed to get everything in, but I did use a lightweight summer sleeping bag, for an autumn or winter trip my big sleeping bag would need to be mounted somewhere else!

I have been thinking about adding front panniers, and this may solve the problem as I was a little tight on storage.

The two pouches were brilliant, great for putting odds and ends in along with a spare water bottle. Much easier than having to rummage through either my front bag or rear panniers to try and retrieve things.

My tent was in the roll bag at the front and mounted to that was my small front bag.

This again worked perfectly for the trip.

As this was my first bicycle camping trip I was happy with the set up, it did feel heavy and I was unsure how the rear rack would cope with the weight of the panniers.

This was a concern as I was going to be riding some rough trails through the New Forest!

Well, only one way to find out!

Till next time.......ride safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment