Monday, July 30, 2018

New Bottom Bracket - Grips And Rear Tyre On The Fat Bike

So my Calibre Dune Fat Bike has now had it's first service, all was ok apart from the Bottom Bracket, the clicking noise was still evident, all though it had subsided a little bit.

I took the bike home, but on riding it, was not happy with it so arranged to take it back to them the next day.

I decided to wait whilst they stripped the BB down to see if they could identify exactly what the problem was.

They had out the back a Calibre Dune frame with the BB still on it, so they decided to strip that down as well to see if there was any difference.

It quickly became clear that on stripping down the other BB it had a 2mm spacer fitted which was missing from mine!

This was then fitted to mine and low and behold it solved the problem!

A spacer had not been fitted at the factory, and to be honest the mechanic did not know that there needed to be a spacer fitted.

Anyway, problem solved!

Whilst it was in for service I had some new grips fitted, firstly because the stock ones are absolute rubbish and kept twisting round and working their way off the handlebars, and secondly I have been getting numbing of the fingers.


These now give me the option to move my hands to different positions to see if that eases the problem.

During a routine inspection of my back tyre I noticed that there was what looked like a hole in the tyre.




On removal of the tyre and inner tube it was clear there was, so as a stop gap I plugged the tyre. I am currently running Juggernaut Pro's front and rear, these were fitted from new.

What I noticed about these tyres is that they are extremely light, the side walls are very thin along with the actual tyre itself.

As weight is not really an issue for me I decided to buy another tyre but as I ride a good deal on tarmac and with the associated wear I did not want to spend a great deal.

The plug worked fine, but I did notice some damage to the side wall in various places, so I will keep it as an emergency spare.

I thought I would try a Hengol - it certainly has a bit more meat to it and so far no problems at all!


The cost was only £35.00 including shipping from a company on ebay.

With the new tyre fitted it was time to hit the New Forest Trails




The grips were a huge improvement but the problem has not gone away, so it maybe time to look into butterfly bars to see if even greater options of hand placement is the key.

Till next time - ride safe...................

No comments:

Post a Comment