Friday, June 29, 2018

Calibre Dune Fat Bike

So what's so special about Fat Bikes?

Well, firstly they are recognisable by the size of their tyres - To qualify as a Full Fat Bike the tyres have to be 4" wide


Now considering a normal or standard tyre on a Mountain Bike is 2.75" you can see there is a big difference!

As with all tyres the bigger the footprint the more grip/traction you will get.

It also means that the frames of the bikes can be lighter due to suspension not being required the bumps being taken up by the tyres themselves.

My bike weighs in at 13.2Kg

As a comparison a Calibre Bossnut V2 Mountain Bike comes in at 14.5Kg


This was taken when I collected the bike, I have since discovered that it does actually fit in the back of the truck with the seats folded down.

Since I have had the bike I have made a couple modifications and added to it.

The first thing I added was a rear rack, then added a set of panniers, along with a handlebar bag, and small frame bag for tools plus a large water bottle mounted within the triangle of the frame.

The panniers are Carradice Overland Panniers, used but in great condition and only cost me £30.00 so was very happy with that.



The biggest modification which I have only just done is swapped the saddle. Kiera kindly bought me for my birthday a Brooks B17 Aged saddle. The stock saddle was ok, but after 30 miles I could hardly sit on it.


I spent a couple of miles setting it up, then took it for a long ride, completing nearly 50 miles. Yes my arse was sore, but I could still sit on the saddle which to me was a massive improvement.

They say that it takes a Brooks saddle 500 to 1000 miles to break in, so to feel an improvement all ready is brilliant!

My next step is to raise the handlebars and to get better grips.

All in all I am very happy with the bike, all though in saying that I do suspect that the bearings maybe shot on the bottom bracket all ready.

So on Sunday it is heading to the workshop to be looked at, I will find out more later on Monday.

Fingers crossed it's nothing too serious, all under warranty if it is.

That then is the Calibre Dune Fat Bike.

Ride safe..............

No comments:

Post a Comment