Monday, March 3, 2014

Honda C90 Departure Day Fast Approaching

The days are flying by, and it will not be long before I set out on my 3500 mile challenge on my little Honda C90 aka "Lucille".

So since my last camping trip I have been looking into all the areas that needed improvement.

There seems to be a constant stream of items turning up in the post at work for me, much to the amusement to all there.

I have to get "Lucille" booked in for her MOT over the next couple of days. The front rack has yet to be fitted by "Ghosty Engineering".

A wire shopping basket has been sourced by one of the guys at work who forgot to take it back to the supermarket and it unfortunately found it's way into the boot of his car. A rather posh one as well!

This will be fitted to the front rack so that my fuel can and other odds and ends can be strapped to it or placed into it. A perfect carrying system.

I have managed to get hold of some pannier covers, as I was thinking the other day that if the panniers get wet, I would be taking them off the bike and putting them straight into my dry tent! Not a good idea so a couple of covers to keep the worst off may just do the trick!

Well, we will find out soon enough!

Something that I had not paid too much attention to was what sort of food I would take with me.

I don't really want to be shopping everyday, my stops at garages will have to suffice, so I thought that in the evenings all I want is something quick and easy.

I looked last time I was in GoOutdoors at the pre-packed food ration packs. Bloody expensive, so the search for a cheap alternative was on.

I tried out tonight something I came across on YouTube, quick, simple and tasty.

A packet of curry noodles,  a tin of tuna and a sachet of Dolmio tomato and herb sauce.

It was filling and tasted good, and after a long day in the saddle it will taste even better. What's more it's cheap, light in weight and therefore easy to pack.

So some of those will be going with me, during the day with the frequent fuel stops I will have to do, I will come across some hot food to keep me going.

All should be well till I get north of the border, but will find out as I go along. What ever happens I won't starve!

My stove is brilliant, and takes seconds to cool down, but I will be making a small flask of coffee every morning, as a hot cup always gives me a bit of a boost after a couple of hours.

Items, that turned up in the post today was a full face balaclava which feels great and will definitely keep me warm when used in conjunction with my neck tube.

Just two purchases left outstanding and that is rear shock absorbers and a front screen. I have finally tracked down a supplier who sells the original Rickman full screens. Expensive, but feel that it will be money well spent.

Shocks are still a little difficult to get hold of, as there seems to be so many to choose from. Price varies as well, guess you get what you pay for.

Tyres turned up as well. I was asked why on earth am I taking spare tyres? Your only in the UK.

Yes this is true, but up in the highlands if I do shred a tyre I could loose two days and part of the ride. So having them with me makes sure I can continue my trip with little or no fuss. Apart from changing them!

So everything is clicking into place, I even made it into the local paper!


Fame at last!

Till later............

No comments:

Post a Comment