Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Underwood Loop - On A Fat Bike

I've been thinking about why it has taken me so long to get back in the saddle (to coin a very apt phrase)!

To be honest it is blindingly obvious and I should of realised this by now, as it is one of the major obstacles that stop people from riding in the first place.

The roads from where I live are just too busy!

I enjoy off road - gravel tracks, riding on tarmac has no appeal to me what so ever, but to get to the forest it takes me anything from 15 to 30 mins depending on what area I want to ride in.

Some of the areas that I wish to explore would take an hours ride just to get to the start point.

So I have been putting the bike in the car and driving to my start point. I appreciate that this is not environmentally friendly but I'm afraid I'm doing it!

I wanted to start exploring parts of the forest which I have ridden through, but not tried the various paths off.

Just North of the A35 on the Christchurch to Lyndhurst road, I turned left and headed for Anderwood BBQ Site - It has a car park, a BBQ and a loo!




I didn't ride far - just 9.5km but all on gravel or single tracks, it was a bit boggy in places and very windy.

I stopped for a break at the top of a hill, probably not the safest place to stop which was next to a dead tree which had obviously had large bits of it falling off!




It felt good being back on the bike, and although it was a short trip, there were some good sections that got the legs and heart working.

To view my full route check out my Strava below.

Ride safe....


No comments:

Post a Comment