Friday, August 3, 2018

What Did I Learn - Fat Biking Bikepacking Touring ??

Well, the first thing you learn is not to take too much kit with you.

I reckon for a couple of days during the summer I was about right. My spare clothes did not get used, but if it had been raining then that would of been a possibility.

So I do not think I could of made any adjustments there.

However, a rookie mistake was taking tinned food with me. I had some left over from a previous trip and thought I would use it up, so it did serve a purpose, but from now on, it will be pasta/rice and what ever I can buy locally during the day.

This will not only keep the weight down, but also the space.

My rear panniers are small, and to be honest I am thinking about getting front panniers.

My large sleeping bag which would be a must for winter camping would fill a pannier on it's own. I can cope without many things but my sleeping bag is too good not to have.

So with the addition of two small panniers on the front I would then have probably too much space, but at least I could evenly distribute the weight around the frame of the bike rather than having 80% on the back.

The hunt is now on for a pair of Axiom Lowriders - Not easy to get hold of and am contemplating that I may have to buy them from the USA as everywhere I have looked in the UK appear to be out of stock!


Having said all that a quick search and I've just found a pair at the link above!

The tent fitted in it's handlebar bag perfectly with no adverse steering issues along with the two stuff pouches also fitted to the handlebars.

The one thing I did suffer from was tingling and dead fingers on my left hand.

Even with the new grips I still suffered and it took over a day to recover fully.

To see if it makes any difference I have ordered a set of Butterfly Handlebars - I'm waiting for them to arrive, once they are fitted I will see if that makes any difference.

I'm hoping with the multitude of places I can put my hands that this will make a difference and relieve the pressure from my palm.


These are the bars, looking forward to fitting and trying them out.

All in all the little trip was a good shake down of the bike and the kit, I would like to try and get a week away before Christmas, but not sure if I can make that happen or not.

Till later - ride safe.


No comments:

Post a Comment