Wednesday, December 1, 2021

My Journey With Covid!


Well, this post is really all about my journey with Covid and what it has done to me so far.

I have worked right the way through the pandemic as a long distance lorry driver here in the UK.

The nature of the job means that for the most part it is a solitary existence, but at services and business I do have to make contact with other humans, more the pity!

Right from the start I wore a mask, maintained social distancing rule, washed hands and took all the measures I could to keep myself and others safe.

However, as time went on and certainly over the last few months, like many others I suspect, maintaining these protocols slipped a little.

As a result I tested positive!

For the first few weeks I started to feel just a little run down, headaches, tired etc, but put it down to working long hours (60 plus a week).

But it wasn't until I returned home on a Friday and more or less collapsed as I came in through the front door that my wife suggested I do a lateral flow test.

This proved positive and this set the wheels in motion.

A PCR test was booked for the next day (Saturday) and at 0600hrs on the Monday the email came through that I was positive. I then went into isolation.

By Monday I was bed ridden and only getting up to use the bathroom. The next time I got up and had a shower or really moved was late Thursday - I was in a bad way!

The symptoms I suffered from were - Difficulty in breathing, tight chest, cough, aches and pains, headaches, loss of appetite (I lost 9 lbs), brain fog, loss of smell, partial lack of taste and sometimes things taste different. I slept mostly not being able to do anything else.

I honestly think that if I was not double jabbed I would of ended up in hospital - It was really quite scary!

This is my 5th week, and I'm slowly recovering, I'm well out of quarantine, but going out for just 30 mins completely wipes me out. I still have a cough although not as bad. My chest is still tight and my breathing is still a bit laboured.

My sense of taste is getting better along with my sense of smell.

I'm still off work, a 15 hour day which is normal in the haulage industry here in the UK would be a real struggle and this has stopped me from going back. A job with normal hours would probably be ok.

I'm due to go back next Tuesday, but I'm still not sure if this is possible, I'll wait till the weekend and see how I feel. 

So if anyone reading this is in any doubt about having the vaccinations, please have them. I honestly think there was a strong possibility that without them I may not be here now.

Stay safe out there, take all the precautions you can and hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Til later.................

 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing your Covid story. Those who think it is just a little flu should think again. The pair of us are double vacced over here, and will be getting the third booster shot after Xmas. No doubt this will be avsila left to you as well. Take care and enjoy the extra time at home with your lovely family, do hope you are on sick pay to 5ide you over.

    ReplyDelete