Friday, February 5, 2016

DIY Sat Nav Mounting Bar For Honda Varadero 2001

I tried mounting the SatNav directly onto the handle bars, which did not work out as well as I hoped due to a couple of reasons.

Firstly, to get a good view of the SatNav whilst riding it had to be tilted up, but on a bright day the sun made seeing it a problem, so not a great position to be in.

Secondly, I could not use it with the tank bag on, as the bag obscured vision of it.

All in all a bit of a nightmare.

The only thing for it was to look at ways of mounting up higher on the fairing/dash. I wasn't keen on drilling holes, as this would of been the most obvious answer, instead I decided to investigate my local DIY surplus store for inspiration.

I had a rough idea of what I wanted to do, based on the fact that there are two screws on the fairing either side, just above the speedo and rev counters of the dash. They secure the black moulded plastic to the screen.

If I could some how attach a piece of conduit or pipe across I could mount the SatNav directly onto it using the existing screws as mounting points.



As you can see from the pictures above, it seemed to work a treat! Not sure if I will have the SatNav mounted centrally as shown or to the right.

Centrally may obscure the dials, but to be honest I do not ride faster than 70 mph which is where I wont be able to see or take it over 6000 revs.  So not really an issue.

But happy with the concept and design. Total cost - £5.20

And it took less than 15 minutes to bolt on. 

The journey continues......................

No comments:

Post a Comment